This dish can be served as a starter to share, or as a canapé. It is so simple and can even convert people who don’t like oysters.
8 fresh pacific oysters
Fresh lemon balm
250ml homemade mayonnaise
100g brown crab meat
250g self-raising flour
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
200ml Two Chefs ale
1. Shuck the oysters and keep the shells.
2. Mix the brown crabmeat with the mayonnaise, some chopped dill and a squeeze of lemon.
3. Whisk the flour, vinegar and Two Chefs ale together with a little salt; add a little water if necessary to make a batter that coats the back of a spoon. Chop a generous amount of lemon balm and add to the batter.
4. Pass the oyster through some plain seasoned flour, dip each one into the batter and deep fry at 180°C until crispy. Drain on kitchen paper and season with salt.
5. Serve with a pot of the brown crab mayo, some wedges of fresh lemon, some sprigs of the fresh lemon balm and, of course, a pint of Two Chefs ale!